Confused About Navigating Probate Law? 5 Key Signs That You Need Help Managing an Estate

lawyer and client

When a loved one passes away, the last thing any family wants is to hire a legal entity. In the UK, many families choose to handle their deceased relatives’ estate on their own. While this is advisable in instances where there is a will, or it is a simple estate to manage, it can become a bit more complicated when there is not a will to fall back on, or if there are complex relationships in the family.

As modern family life is often complicated, there are many variables to be taken into consideration in relation to dividing assets, and as you may have guessed, the laws surrounding inheritance in the UK can be a bit complicated. If you find yourself overwhelmed with the number of benefactors, division of stock or bonds or indeed, simply trying to decide who gets what, then you need legal help.

A probate solicitor in Emsworth can help you to manage the estate of your deceased relative, so you can get on with the more important things, such as funeral arrangements and services. A reputable solicitor will endeavour to alleviate as much stress as possible at such a vulnerable time, so you can focus your attention to your family.

So, what are some of the indicators that you need a probate solicitor? Read on to find out.

Will validity

As unpleasant as it is, there are many instances in which surviving family members question the validity of a will. If you have been named executor of the estate or if you are the person who wants to question the authenticity of the will, then you need to hire a probate solicitor in Emsworth.

Estate amount

While many people want to be left a large estate by their departed relatives, it is rarely as easy as it appears in Hollywood movies. In the UK, if your deceased relative leaves an estate that is over the Inheritance Tax threshold, or the estate is earning a regular income (such as a set of hotels), then you will need some targeted, legal representation.

No will

last will and testament

A sad reality that occurs when a younger person dies, if there is no will that states whom they want to inherit their estate, you will need the help of a solicitor who specialises in probate law.

Complex arrangements

As mentioned before, modern-day family life can be a bit complicated. The merging of two families through parental marriage can complicate inheritance, especially if there are step-children or adopted children. Also, if a will was left by your departed relative, stipulating inheritance through stocks or bonds, then you will need to hire a legal representative pronto!

Foreign assets

Finally, if your departed relative owned property overseas or had foreign assets, it would be wise to seek legal advice. The presence of foreign assets can present complications with UK taxation, but your solicitor should be able to help ensure that all assets are accounted for and taxed correctly under UK law. Perfect!

Leave a Comment

Recent Post

Scroll to Top